Using PowerPoint Viewer 2010

Let us know about any problems in SongBeamer
connan

Using PowerPoint Viewer 2010

Post by connan »

Reported to me from a user of SongBeamer:

"Subject: Using PowerPoint Viewer 2010.
Although it was never intended to use PPT Viewer 2010, up to SB version 4.30d worked fine with it. We needed to use PPTV 2010 because some features in PPTX files are not handled correctly with PPTV 2007 which was the recommended version. All SB versions after 4.30d do not bring up the thumbnails, and in fact PPTV 2010 shows errors. Even beta versions of SB which are meant to cope with PPTV 2010 still fail. With some versions, PPTV 2010 will come up as a separate window, but it doesn't provide an option to show on the second screen.

Each time an update to SongBeamer comes out I try it (up to 4.35a), but so far no luck."

"A P.S. to the previous email. The latest version of SongBeamer is 4.35, not 4.35a as in the notes. Also using PowerPoint rather than the PPTViewer does work but has a couple of unwanted side effects, like leaving the last picture on the screen when you select the next song or PowerPoint. Also it occasionally hangs onto the second screen (doesn't close) and you have to select PowerPoint and hit esc. to cancel it. With the PPTV it reliably blanks the screen when you move on to the next item in the schedule."

Thanks.
Sebastian
SongBeamer

Post by Sebastian »

Which operating system are you using? What errors do you get from the PPTV 2010? What do you mean with "some versions"? Can you give me the "Product Version" (for example: 14.0.7151.5001") and language of the PowerPoint Viewer you're using (in Explorer: right-click on the file PPTView.exe, then Properties -> Details).

In SongBeamer 4.31 we changed how we get the thumbnails from the PowerPoint Viewer 2010. This made it work a lot better for most users even though the import itself looks a bit uglier.

Many users requested that the last picture should remain on the screen when switching from PowerPoint to the next item. You'd have to press "B" in order to get a blank screen. Should we make this optional?
connan

Post by connan »

"Attached are some screen captures with the information requested by Sebastian. There are two versions of Songbeamer used.
Right-click on the exe files, Songbeamer 431 has a file number of 4.30.4.0 and Songbeamer 432a has a file number of 4.31.1.0 so not sure what that means. The running programs show 431 and 432a respectively as you can see in the screen captures."

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cb1zwwt6jgts ... eKuWa?dl=0

" I forgot to reply to the last request about blanking the screen. I find it good that selecting the next entry in the schedule DOES blank the last screen, rather than leave it there like PowerPoint itself does."

"Windows version 7, both 32 bit and 64 bit, service pack 1"
Sebastian
SongBeamer

Post by Sebastian »

It seems there was a problem with distributing the correct version of the SBPPV2003.dll file. Could you please download and install the current version 4.35 again and see what happens? The SBPPV2003.dll should be version 4.35.1.0

I'm a bit confused about the "SongBeamer cannot open PowerPoint Viewer 2003/2007" error you get in SongBeamer 4.34a and 4.35. This means that SongBeamer could not find the PowerPoint Viewer or the SBPPV2003.dll file. But I don't see any obvious changes in our code about this. Could it be that you're trying to run SongBeamer from outside its installation folder that doesn't have SBPPV2003.dll?
connan

Post by connan »

"All the versions now work correctly with the latest version of the DLL, even though it's not the version number he suggests it should be. Apart from the last two versions of Songbeamer itself (434a and 435) they were physically in the installation folder. The DLL that was with them was from an earlier time, 14/1/2010 and was smaller, 303KB which hadn't been updated recently.
As I said before, the current one is 371KB and dated 25/8/2014. BUT they both show a version number the same, that is 1.3.2.0
So it looks like the problem may now be solved.
Please thank him for the help."

THANKS